Tico Time

Many sources of information for travelers will note the relaxed attidude that Costa Ricans (who refer to themselves as ticos) have in regard to punctuality. This is something I have found to be mostly true, not only here, but in Guatemala as well. It is ironic, then, that ICADS keeps us on such a rigorous schedule.
My house is sort of far from ICADS, about a 30 minute walk. During the week I wake up around 6:45, eat breakfast, get ready and meet the other students in my neighborhood around 7:20 to go to class. We get there with enough time to get a cup of coffee, and then we have Spanish class from 8 to noon. After an hour for lunch, there are usually one or two hour-long lectures on the topic of the previous nights reading, and the rest of the time is used for activities specific to the two different programs (field course and internships).
It's usually past 5:30 when I get home. At that point, my fifth or sixth cup of coffee has worn off, and I am fairly tired. I rest before eating dinner, and later struggle to stay awake through the readings and Spanish homework. Often, I fall asleep before 11. I think this is the busiest I have been since high school. That said, I am enjoying most of it, and I'm happy to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment